“Non-DICOM enterprise imaging has the power to improve or even save lives.”
Kim Garriott, chief innovation officer for global healthcare & life sciences with NetApp, has been around enterprise imaging practically since its inception. In a recent interview with HealthExec, Kim shares her insights on the power of bringing in non-DICOM images in an Enterprise Imaging(EI) mix.
It is becoming increasingly clear that non-DICOM enterprise imaging is crucial for supplying diagnostic context. Today we can strategize, at an excitingly granular level, not only how to bring non-DICOM images into the EI mix, but also why we should strive to do so whenever appropriate, secure and feasible.
In the interview, Kim shares five universal must-do’s that deserve high prioritization, and apply to all provider orgs at any stage of the non-DICOM EI journey:
- Make sure all key stakeholders have a seat at the table.
- Understand how medical photography affects clinical workflows in your overall EI program.
- Medical photographs are much easier for patients to understand than their DICOM counterparts. Bear this in mind and approach accordingly.
- Get clinical departments’ buy-in early on.
- Collaborate closely with partners who are heading where you want to go with EI.
“EI is absolutely at an inflection point, EI is in the process of pivoting toward a comprehensive, all-imaging-in model.
I’ll go further. In a way, it’s the non-DICOM component that delivers most dramatically on EI’s founding promise: Offer a patient’s full imaging history to every permissioned clinician who might leverage the access to make a more accurate diagnosis or direct a more efficacious treatment plan.“
Kim Garriott, chief innovation officer for global healthcare & life sciences with NetApp
To learn more on the power of a true Enterprise Imaging Platform approach, visit the Agfa HealthCare website.